Friday, February 22, 2008

Let Me Write That Down...

Semester One has started and once again the university has seen it fit to change the structure of the teaching timetable. I am certain that this is twice in two years. The last change was a removal of a teaching week. That was stress inducing as the corresponding amount of content wasn't removed. Now, the study breaks are counted as part of the teaching weeks rather than skipped. It does sound like there's a longer semester but there isn't. It's akin to buying your favourite chocolate bar in new packaging to find that the nett weight has reduced slightly but you're still paying the same price. Although in this case, fees have increased.

But here's my semester, (hang onto something, it sounds hectic but it isn't really)...
  • I'm enrolled in one unit that is being delivered as a series of seminars so every three weeks or so I turn up for two days of intensive lectures, labs and tests.
  • I'm President of the Postgrad Student Association with fortnightly meetings.
  • I'm the Postgrad Rep on the Student Guild with fortnightly meetings.
  • I'm in a working party defining and tweaking policies for the Academic Council.
  • I am a lab demonstrator for two first year Chemistry units.
  • I am a tutor for one of these Chemistry units, although I may have two tutorial groups. 
  • I am a lab demonstrator for a group of Masters students at another university once a fortnight.
  • I am also volunteering at a local high school in a class one hour a week.
I've taken to writing things down in order to remember them and turning up.

Things Pertaining to My Previous Post
  • I'm feeling much more positive now. I have decided to give myself a break from benchwork and have taken up a variety of roles before I attempt working in a lab.
  • I am submitting something in writing detailing my supervisor's treatment of me. I want something on record.
  • And to everyone that e-mailed me, thank you so much. Your support has been invaluable. There aren't enough words to thank you enough.

No comments: