Saturday, September 22, 2007

Decision Time

It's now time to make a decision.

A project has come my way that I cannot laugh off, or most importantly, forget. It is an industry sponsored project that has me excited. From the details, it looks rather straight forward and if I do manage to make a groundbreaking discovery, there is a potential that the thesis will be embargoed, meaning it doesn't see the light of day for x years.

Upon finishing I have will have two options, one to go into academia and the second to head out to industry and work as a consultant or perhaps as a professional in my field. Knowing this helps a little because for the most part I have the impression that a PhD isn't highly valued in industry. Though then again this is most likely due to the conditions in industry more than anything else. And academia is something I don't know a lot about but I will most likely find out more as the years go by during a PhD.

I have let my potential supervisor know of my interest. I had to, that and the news got out that I was indeed contemplating a PhD. This project seemed to be beckoning for me to take it. He was rather happy at the prospect of me signing on in a PhD. Though I was at pains to stipulate that I do also want to finish my current postgraduate coursework having getting so close to completion and given the amount it's costing me, I want to finish it otherwise I've just taken a lot of expensive courses with nothing to show.

There are deadlines looming for applications, scholarships and funding. When are they? I have no clue. I decided it was safer not asking.

I know I do want to do a PhD, it's just that I need time to think about it a little more and adjust.

No comments: