Monday, October 22, 2007

A Stumbling Block or Two

I have no project now. I was told that the project that I found to be interesting isn't suitable for a PhD project. I was also told that funding could be slightly dubious but to apply for the scholarship anyway. I may not get it as there are a few factors against me like a crappy GPA and not holding an Honours degree. Though having said that I do have relevant research experience and I do have a published report to wave about at people who care about such things.

I still haven't gotten very far with the paperwork. I'm tired of filling out paperwork for the university frankly. I know I'm running well out of time here but I'm fed up and tired of dealing with administration at the moment. I strongly suspect this is due to the fact that my pay, (or lack of), has been badly mishandled. I'll get it done by the end of the week.

I am so over tutoring the high school student that I took on some months back. She keeps missing classes and to be honest, I wasn't hired as a teacher. It also doesn't help when she doesn't do the work I set her in the first place. Just how one is supposed to pass a subject based on this method I don't know. Fine if you're a prodigy but when you're not?

I've turned down a couple of job offers elsewhere though was told to call them once I had finished my PhD. One place even suggested I complete the PhD on a part-time basis. Not entirely sure what is happening out there in industry but things are sounding like they're more desperate for staff than usual. I know I've removed my CV from recruitment agencies and HR pools so all I can figure that people are contacting me through word of mouth information. I've done this so I can just focus for the next few years ahead on one thing.

Yes, I'm still applying despite having no project, (not so good), and doubts over funding, (also not good).

No comments: